From:
David J Walland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:27:15 +0100

Dear Ann and the gang,

I must say that with regard to cakes, I entirely agree with
you.  Virtually all the common cake recipes Karin and I
have tried using GF flour have been OK once we realised the
importance of doubling up on the eggs in the recipe.  In
egg free recipes we have produced good results by adding
one or two medium eggs.

Biscuits/Cookies are quite often GF or use mainly GF
flours.  We've had good results by converting to wholly GF
flours but you do have to watch them like a hawk the first
few times.  GF flour burns much more readily and quickly
than non-GF.  You can easily end up with an oven full of
charred mess if you get diverted in the middle of a bake.
For rolled oats we usually find that flaked rice is a good
substitute.  Honey in a recipe seems to make the risk of
burning slightly less.

Regards

David

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser
Tel +44 (0)117 928 8323
Fax +44 (0)117 929 1209