From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 03:27:59 -0400
Thanks, Susan for your words and Canola article.

Indeed that "canola oil" seems to be a rather artificial thing.
Only consumable through genetic manipulated plants - ergh.
It seems that the rape-plant is so nutritious that it protected
itself by the poisons you mentioned.
Here in Europe we now have the problem that hare (big rabbit?)
are in danger of death by overeating on that
00-rape plants (canola).

In search of a more modern though not historical correct paleolithic
source of w-3 plant-fats i'd prefer flax.
Flax is in addition a plant that's very long in use in agricultural times
(even linearband used it already), so you can assume some thousand years
of safe use from our anchestors.

I al
so like very much the (strong) taste of hemp oil (and seed).
It's available again, after production of THC-free plants had been allowed.
Unfortunatery I didn't find an analysis of hemp (USDA doesn't list it).

Hemp use is younger but still some thousand years cultivated.
It may have been used as a wild plant before...
The seeds taste delicious a little roasted.

regards

Amadeus