From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 02:02:07 -0500
>I think faster
>bowel transit time associated with the evoluitonary diet is a logical
explanation
>ofr the lack of marked colon cancer in HG populaitons which consumed meat (at
>least I have never read of a HG population where it was significant.  Rick

Hey, that's a good point:  if hunter-gatherer populations eat lots of meat,
including cooked meat, and don't get cancer, then clearly it is something
else in the diet -- perhaps in combination with meat -- that causes the
cancer.

I'm glad this subject has come up, because it's been on my mind; "meat
causes colon cancer" is in the Top 10 List of objections that people raise
to the paleo diet.

One other possible defense is a "cost-benefit analysis" approach:  if you
don't eat meat, you have to get your protein from somewhere else, such as
grains, which is even more carcinogenic.  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks -- K.