From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 23:14:13 -0700
I am completely skeptical of the idea that paleo/HG people lack(ed) food
storage tricks other than drying and rendering.  I think there just has
to be a huge amount of knowledge (simple technology) lost to us.  Not to
say that food stored by these other tricks made up a big portion of
anyone's diet (too labor intensive).  However,  I think the assumption
that eggs, for instance, couldn't be stored is suspect on its face.

I have a small collection of old time cookbooks, which includes
_The_Every-Day_Cook-Book_and_Encyclopedia_of_Practical_Recipes_, by Miss
E. Neil, published in Chicago, IL, by the Regan Printing House.  Some
pages are missing, including that which would show the date; but it
certainly predates refrigeration, and includes instructions for cleaning
steel boned corsets and cleaning ladies' hair without washing, so I
imagine it dates from the late 1800's.

Two methods are given for keeping uncooked eggs.

One involves packing them in plaster, which doesn't sound terribly
practical.  The other might be.

 "Eggs may be kept good for a year in the following manner:
 To a pail of water, put of unslacked lime and coarse salt each a pint;
keep it in a cellar,  or cool place, and put the eggs in, as fresh laid
as possible.
    It is well to keep a stone pot of this lime water ready to receive
the eggs as soon as laid; make a fresh supply every few months.  This
lime water is exactly the proper strength; strong lime water will cook
the eggs, very strong lime water will eat the shell."

Now, perhaps I'm stretching here; but, what would be the difference
between the solution described here and some of this proverbial "glacial
milk", or a  wooden box filled with cool water and chunks of limestone?

Here in Oregon, I've heard that there was a preserving technique for
acorns which involved placing them in a hole in the ground, and having
everyone urinate on them for a few months. These were apparently
considered quite a delicacy!

BTW, anyone have a comment on what sea vegetables (seaweeds) do in the
vitamin C or B1 departments?  Do they keep any of these values when dry?