From:
Bill Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:44:58 EST

I received over 100 E-Mail responses and was asked repeatedly to summarize my
"Since I ate vast amounts of gluten before diagnosis,  how could a few crumbs
hurt me now?"  Here's what you answered:

1.  Before diagnosis, celiacs go all their life eating lots of wheat (pastas,
bread, etc.) up to the 70's with stomach problems they learned to live with.
2.  Once your bowel heals, small amounts of gluten become upsetting whereas
before diagnosis they were inconsequential.  3.  I would be playing around
with cancer if I ingested even small mounts of  gluten now.  Most celiacs I
heard from were diagnosed not as children but as mature adults and most had
IBS or anemia which they had learned to live with until something like a
virus, childbirth, illness or surgery  triggered CD and they were fortunate
enough to get diagnosed.