From:
Barbara Parkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 12:25:53 -0600

Hi List,

Here's a second installment of of information about GF hand/body lotion:

From Kiva:
>After reading recently that many plastic surgeons recommend the use of
>Crisco to patients who have had face lifts, I decided to try this less
>expensive alternative to the Body Shop and Kiss My Face lotions used in the
>past. (My skin is highly reactive to Vit. E from wheat germ oil and both
>lotions were safe for me.)
>I have been using the Crisco for only 3 days but am pleased so far with the
>effects on both face and body skin. It is definitely superior to the
>coconut oil tried previously.

From Jill:
>Vasoline petroleum jelly. Not very fancy but GF. If your hands are wet
>it goes on thinner and makes a good sealant.

From Janet:
>Barbara, please let me know if you find anything gf. All I use on my face
>is olive oil which is fine but I would like to know if there is anything
>else. Johnson & Johnson told me their oil gel is gf and also their lotion
>but somehow I dont trust it.

From Janet Crain:
>Barbara; My daughter is on your list as 3 of her children are Celiac.  She
forwarded your l>etter to me as I am in the Emu Oil business.  I have
extremely dry skin due to being >Thyroid deficient for almost 40 years and
have had Crohn's disease for 18 years.  I had >surgery 6 years ago and cannot
absorb fats.  So I really sympatise with you.  I get a lot of >benefit from
using Emu Oil, an all natural substance, which is the most superior
>emmollient known.  Before I started using this, I used to have cracked and
bleeding hands.  >One Christmas my hands were so bad, my daughter had to cook
the whole dinner.  I >dreaded winter.  I will try to find out if my products
are gluten free.  Of course the Pure Emu >Oil and the Emu Oil Plus=99 are all
natural and would not bother your condition.  I also have >hand and body
lotion, hand therapy creme, face creme, and arthritic rub.  But, as I said I
>will have to check on them.  My Web site is www.myfreeoffice.com/emutanicals
If I can be >of assistance, call me on my toll free order line:
1-800-679-9589.

From  Barbara again:
Thanks for all the great suggesstions.  I am now using Crisco on my face, and
on short acquaintance, I can say that it's working very well.  My hands
seemed to want something stronger though, so I did some impromptu research in
the aisles of my local drugstore, and noticed that petrolatum (Vaseline) and
mineral oil (baby oil) are found in most of the expensive lotions.  I also
noticed that these products occupy much of the shelf space in the baby aisle.
Reasoning that babies must know something about soft skin, I made up a 50/50
(1 Tbs.  to 1 Tbs.)  mixture of Vaseline and Mineral Oil.  It does go on a
little "greasy," but that absorbs quickly, and it leaves my hands very soft
-- almost as soft as a baby's you-now-what.  :-) Thanks again List.

Barbara Parkman