From:
Eliyanah Delicate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 10:50:27 -0400

Dear Listmates,
        I have been following this list for about a month now. I have read
widely: books, many files offered on the list, and many of the Celiac web
pages. I have spoken to my cousin who has Celiac. But there are still two
important things I need to know.
        I have a gastroscopy with IV sedation booked for Aug.26 with a
gastroenterologist that I wasn't particularly impressed with. When I told
him that I had tried gluten-free for two weeks (and ALL my gastro symptoms
disappeared), he told me that often when people stop eating solids their
bowels calm down! I was so shocked that I had trouble explaining to him
that not eating gluten didn't mean not eating solids! I had gone out and
bought corn pasta, etc. I was subsitiuting, not removing. And finally able
to eat properly for the first time in months! So, needless to say I don't
trust him much. The question is: how much skill is really required to
'read' a biopsy? If he has never seen a celiac biopsy before, (which I
don't know, because I forgot to ask, and I feel stupid calling his office
to ask), how hard is it really to diagnose? He wrote on the requisition
form for the procedure, "To rule out CD". Does that mean that he is only
looking for CD? I have been very sick for 10.5 months, at this point.
Frankly, I don't care what I have - I just want to stop feeling so awful.
        Which brings me to my next point: have any of you experienced
really long-running (over a month - mine lasted over four months)
low-grade fever with untreated celiac? (by low-grade I mean 99.3 type).
        I was also vomitting a little bit every week! I have lost 25
pounds, and I am still losing. I think I have hit 90 lbs. I spent a week
in the hospital in England last Nov. for severe dehydration, an infection
that started out urinary (but by admission they couldn't actually find it
anywhere) and a fever. And last week I got another urinary tract
infection. Does anyone know of a connection between CD and any of these
things?
        Thankss for your help in advance. I am sorry if this was too much
information, but I am at my wits end about what to do with all thiss
illness. I am so very tired of beinng sick!

        Eliyanah Delicate

--
Coming to you live from Where The Wild Things Are (Ottawa, Canada)
-A division of the Eliyanah Delicate Update News Service