From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:01:36 -0700
At 06:50 AM 10/31/98 , Michael Tabak wrote:
>Our office is about to purchase new computers. I have many programs
>installed and tweaked on my current computer.
>
>Is there a way to transfer software settings contained in my current
>computer's Windows 95 registry to (a) a different computer which has
>Windows 95; or (b) a different computer which has Windows NT?
>
>I understand that I can't simply copy USER.DAT and SYSTEM.DAT, in their
>entirety, from one computer to the other, particularly since the computers
>will have different hardware.

I believe you answered your quetion in the final paragaph.   Each computer
is different and the settings are primarly about hardware...   you can transfer
such things as your browser bookmarks, your email addresses, your
documents and so forth..  (the data).   But, you will need to configure the
new computer based on the hardware in the system.

Large OEM computer companies such as Micron, Dell and Gateway have
a standard hardware profile for their computers.   When the computer is
built, they drop in a network card and download the software to the hard
drive, all preconfigured.   But, even they willl still experience issues with
each computer even if the hardware is identical and they expend labor to
tweak the system to solve issues that occur.

The best solution for you will be to start from scratch and configure your
computer based on the new hardware profile.

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES