From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 06:55:55 -0600
At 10:06 PM 8/31/98 ,  John Rinehart wrote:

>My question has to do with moving everything over to the P90.  I have a new
>Western Digital 3.2G that I don't want to go through the trouble of
>reinstalling everything.  Just did that a few months ago.  The Maxtor 340 I
>will use as a second HD and plan to install Linux on it.
>
>Should I delete devices in Device Manager before the final shut down on the 486;
>install the WD HD in the P90;  and let windows detect the new hardware.  My 486
>is rock solid at this point and I don't want to get the registry all goofed up
>by doing this.  But I want to take advantage of the proformance jump with the
>P90  and 40 MEGs of RAM.  [I know its not a PII 400 with 100MegHz bus but its
>the best I got!]

First, never apologize for your computer.   No matter the system, we are here
to help and do it without embarrassing anyone.

If it were me...    the easiest and cleanest way to do this would be to install
your 3.2gig drive into the P90 and then boot from a floppy.   I would than
reinstall Windows95 and allow it to redetect all the hardware.   This should
take the least amount of time and cause the least problems.   Win95 will
have the opportunity during the reinstall to remove all hardware no longer
available and install drivers for the new hardware.   In going this route, all
your application software will still be intact.   I advise going this route as
sometimes when you just allow it to redetect the new hardware without an
install, it can lockup due to conflicts with existing drivers vs. new hardware
detected.

Now, with that said...  *wink*   be sure you have backed up any files that you
cannot reinstall, such as Documents, quicken backup and so forth should
something go wrong.   This is rare...  but,  if you cannot replace it, do not
risk it.

Bob Wright
List Owner

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**