From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:41:54 -0700

    I recently discovered that Arrowhead Mills has brought out two new
GF cereals: Instant brown rice cereal (so-so), and Instant brown rice
cereal with apple (better). They come in individual serving packages,
just like the instant oatmeal sold in supermarkets, and all you have
to do is add boiling water, stir, and wait a couple of minutes.
    They come in very handy for travelling, especially if, like me,
you wouldn't dream of going on a trip without one of those immersion
heaters and a 99-cent ceramic mug. The immersion heaters only cost a
couple of dollars, and provide boiling water anywhere you go. One of
my favorite gadgets.
    I always carry one or two packages of the apple variety in my
purse, even here in New York.  Now when I go to a morning meeting
where all they have is pastries and bagels and NOTHING for the hungry
celiac, I at least have something to fall back on, and it requires no
special effort at all, since all I need is a paper cup and hot water.
     Another thing: I've always had a perverse fondness for ramen
soups. A couple of months ago, I first tried Thai Kitchen's noodle
soups, widely sold in supermarkets. They are all made with Asian rice
noodles, and are very quick and easy to prepare, if not quite as
instantenous as ramen cups; in other words, you do have to cook them
for a bit. Still, they are very tasty - think of them as superior
ramen, and you won't be far wrong.
     I always have a package or two in my suitcase, because even
though they won't work with an immersion heater, I've always found a
pot of water and a stove. That's all you really need, although when at
home I jazz them up with chicken or vegetables.
     Thai Kitchen has the following varieties, all GF:
     - Curry Noodles
     - Hot and Sour Noodles (good)
     - Thai Basil Noodles
     - Lemongrass Chili Noodles (good and spicy)
     - Tomato and Basil Noodles
     They also make a Roasted Red Pepper Noodle soup. the only variety
which they will not swear to as being GF, because it contains
distilled vinegar. Your call, ladies and gentlemen.
      Of course, there is one teeny thing I noticed: This week, my
supermarket is selling ramen soup packages at 5 for a dollar. Thai
Kitchen noodle packages, on the other hand, while exactly the same
size, cost $2.99 EACH.
      But then, as we all know, CD also stands for Costly Diet.
                              Regards to all,
                                   Mary in NYC