From:
"Ronald L. Ploude" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:25:13 EDT
After a recent bout of thunder storms, I found my modem returning failure
errors of not being able to get a carrier.  Also printer connection
failures are being reported 'Unable to communicated with printer'.  I
have removed the modem to see if it caused the IO problem but to no avail
as the printer error remained the same.  The telephone line and the
printer itself (as determined by a self test) are functioning.  I have
not tested the modem in another machine.  The serial mouse works and so
does the sound card and SCSI devices.

Could the computer have recieved a lightning strike through the phone
line even though the computer was off?  And, if it has, how do I
difinitively assure myself that the IO section of the MB is fried?  As
background, the processor is a 486DX100 with 16meg of memory and onboard
IDE, serial, and printer connections on the VLB MB.  The modem is a USR
56K and the printer an HP855ci color.