From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 13:09:46 -0500

Dear Listmates,

This was served at a very nice dinner Saturday night, where 5 couples
gather, and each brings a course of the dinner.  Everyone was careful to
be GF for me, as this was our first dinner since my diagnosis.  I
scrutinized all the recipes in advance and made suggestions as to brands
of chicken broth, etc.  It was all great, but this dessert was so divine
that I feel like sharing it with you.  I don't know the original source.

PEAR AND ALMOND FRANGIPANE WITH APRICOT SAUCE

8 servings.

4 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tab. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. GF vanilla extract
8 Anjou (or other hard) pears, peeled, halved, cored

1 18 oz. jar apricot preserves
1/4 cup dark rum

2 cups almonds, toasted
1 3/4 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1/8 tsp. GF almond extract

Combine water, 2 1/2 cups sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in large pot.
Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves.  Add pears.  Bring
liquid to boil.  Reduce heat to medium;  simmer until pears are just
tender, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.  Cool pears in poaching
liquid.

Stir preserves in small  saucepan until melted.  Add Rum (Pears and
sauce can be made 1 day ahead.  Cover separately; chill.)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 10-11 inch diameter quiche dish with about
1 1/2 high sides.  Grind nuts in processor or blender.  Add 1 3/4 cups
sugar, eggs and almond extract.  Process until well blended.  Pour into
dish.  Drain pears.   Arrange atop batter, cut side down and stem end
toward center.  Bake until tester inserted into cake comes out clean,
about 1 hour.  Cool on rack.

Rewarm apricot sauce over medium-low heat.  Serve cake with sauce.
Yumyum.