From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:45:09 -0400
On Sat, 8 Aug 1998 06:37:32 -0700, Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
>> I know it's impractical to rely on game only for nourishment of
>> the USA, for example (it's enough for 2 Millions but for 255 Millions).
>
>Pennsylvania ( a small U.S. state one third the size of Germany) has far
>more licenced deer hunters than 2 million.  Despite their best efforts,
>deer over-population there is becoming quite a problem causing thousands
>of car wrecks every year. BTW, the U.S. has more deer hunters (aka
>snipers) than the rest of the world has soldiers!(source Wall Street
>Journal)
>
>Ray Audette
>Author "NeanderThin AA Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"

Well, Ray do you know how much deer meat this deer hunting army
(with more then soldiers than the rest of the world, including bosnia)
actually brings back?

If found the following:

>>"More than 750 MILLION POUNDS of wild meat are consumed by humans each
>>year in the United States. That is roughly equivalent to 2 million beef
>>cattle....... (from Wildlife Management Institute).
>1 pound is enough *protein* for about 2 days per human.
>750 MILLION POUNDS are therefore enough *protein* for 250 million
>americans for 6 days of the year.
>Since wild game is low fat, 1 pound has enough calories for 660/2400 = 0.2
>days per human,
>for 250 million americans enough for about half a day.
>
>Congratulations this are 2% of the protein and 0.5% of the energy
>that the americans need.

It appears to me that even th
e whole hunter army can't bring in
any significant amounts.
And this leads me to the conclusion that, if you propagate eating
big meat parts in diet, you _necessaryly_ cause the
farming of animals whith all it's dangers and drawbacks.
For example the critisised big chemical crop fields
(80 percent wheat fed to animals and so on).

To this comes to the individual drawback of the (at least)
undesireable differences of farmed meat to game meat
(fat composition, hormones, chemicals).

please comment

Amadeus Schmidt
(who likes to watch falcons, not their prey)