From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 08:10:17 -0400
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998 12:18:04 EDT, Aaron Sugarman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Amadeus,
>
>I have tried substituting nuts and seeds for meat and I fell apart.  It didn't
>sustain me.  They are different than meat, and their high arachidonic acid
>sp?) may actually lead to long-term health problems.  Better to eat meat and
>fish and snack on nuts as well.  We are not squirrels.
>
>By the way, I find raw nuts and seeds to be the only I can digest without
>further compromising my system.  Almonds seem best...
>
>Aaron

Aaron,

I never felt the need of substituting meat by nuts,
but sometimes , if i feel a little hungry after what i could call
prot
ein then i tend to eat a few hundred grams of nuts
or other fatty seeds.
Of course these are always unsalted, but sometimes roasted.
Very good is also soaking the almonds a little and get rid of the brown
skin this way. I also prefer almonds (most are californian).
Very tasty is for me roasting sunflower  or pine seed.

If im searching for very dense plant foods, i find that several plant
seeds do a good job (and are tasty).
Almonds,
Sunflower seeds (they have more protein than meat),
chestnut, walnut, Brazil nuts, all (except chestnut)
eaten raw are my personal favourites.

Especially sunflower seeds (of course organic grown) are available without
shells, cheap and tasty.

Most are so dense that you get enough protein _and_ energy from
about 400 grams.
Similar is game meat - if you eat brains and all - not only muscles.
Except it is a little low on energy.

Then,
 a little less dense are the seeds from many other plants.
Buckwheat. Pumpkin seed. Most can be eaten.
Grasses (IMO not all grains are equally "bad adaptions")
If you leave out wheat - which is a industry plant-
other very tasty and less allergy prone seeds are available.
Sesame seed (whole, very tasty crude hmmmm)
Rice, Millet, oats, rhye , spelt.
May everyone decide which one seems to be paleo or unpaleo.
These seeds that you need abt 6-800 grams per day
for protein and energy.
Then from small green wild plants ("herbs" "salad")
quite many can be eaten and are tasty.
Then you need an amount of about 2000 grams
for enough energy and protein per day.

Maybe we have a little from squirrels.
When primates switched to a denser food from fruit 2 million years back
when the rainforest changed to savanne,
the several seeds seem to be a good choice.
They need a little tool knowledge
 to be opened.
They can be reached more easily if you are standing upright,
if you have to reach bushes from the cround.
To get them, a very versatile hand has a big advantage.
This might be human adaption reasons.

regards

Amadeus