From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:14:06 -0500
Recently I had some problems with my LaserJet 4,
where it printed some things not quite correctly.

I found out that I had my printer port set to ECP,
and, after reading a statement on HP's web site,
I now see that HP does not support HP.  When
I changed to "normal" in bios, problems had gone
away.

HP says that its "Bitronics" interface supports
bidirectional printing.  (Which I should have set
the port to, rather than normal.)  It also says
that EPP is not related to printers but to other
peripherals.

My bios give choices:  normal / bidirectional / EPP / ECP

Now, here is the question.  I want to buy a Visioneer
PaperPort One-Touch scanner.  I beleive that it inserts
an EPP connector between the host and the printer
as an interface.

1) Will this work with my Laserjet 4 or will the EPP mess
it up the same way that ECP did????  I have the port
set on EPP now as a test, and it seems to work ok, but
I am afraid of a "gotcha" after I spend the money on the
scanner.  (And, I have not been doing a lot of printing.)

2) I have a Primax  electronic switcher to permit sharing
of the printer with my wife's computer.  (Works real
well.)  Will the Primax switcher support EPP?  (I am
not sure that it is 1284 compliant, as it is several years
old, but it has been working with EPP so far....)

TIA

Dean Kukral

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**