From:
Beverle Sweitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 06:10:34 -0400
Hollie & other newbies:
  The question was posed "what is Paleo like long-term?"  I don't have a
clue.  Seriously, I have been Paleo for 6+ weeks.  I have tried almost
every diet known to man.  Even the Beverly Hills diet.(!)  When I look
back on it, I was (am) such a victim of society's standards that I was
dieting when I didn't need to lose weight.  I have pictures of myself
when I was seriously dieting and I was already skinny.  I am _not_
skinny now.  Back to the point - I have lost body fat on Paleo, so far
not weight.  I feel really good every day.  I don't need caffeine to get
me through tough afternoons.  I don't need caffeine to get me up in the
morning.  I feel light and clean - hard to explain, but if you are there
you will understand.  The main benefit that I have noticed, so far, is I
don't obsess.  I know what I can eat and I eat it - with relish and
pleasure.  When I finish eating I go on to other things.  I used to
always be hungry (in my head) and spent most of my mental time planning
meals.  This Saturday, for the first time in 6 weeks, I cheated.  Went
to a birthday party and had pizza, cake and ice cream.  No, I didn't get
sick.  I may have cast iron digestion or I may be lucky.  Besides
feeling guilty I also felt *hungry*.  Until I went to bed all I could
think of was *more CARBS*!.  It didn't matter that I had already had
enough I wanted more!  Apparently I am a serious addict and I hated it.
I don't want to feel so out of control.  I would guess that for me that
is the beauty of Paleo.  I am in control.  My body tells me that what I
am doing is right and that if I stick with it I will be rewarded in the
long run with health and comfort.  I think each one of you will have to
give it a chance and decide for yourself which way you want to go.  Read
and follow the two pages that outline the do and don't part.  Do that
strictly for two weeks and your body will tell you the rest.  Maybe it
is not for everyone.  That is hard for me to comprehend since it is so
good for me, but give it a try and decide for yourself.
Love & good health,
Bev