From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:28:05 -0500
Michele Shoemaker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>He is now completly vegetarian and says he's never been healthier--he still
>avoids the gluten containing foods. He still eats like a horse and is still
>fairly thin though not as emaciated as when I met him.
>
>I realize that this story flies in the face of most everything that has
>been posted on this list. Maybe someone out there can explain the anomaly.

What anomaly? He wouldn't be the first person with celiac disease that was
misdiagnosed with ulcerative colitis or Crohn's. Actually a misdiagnosis of
 "colitis" is common, and in a survey of Canadian celiacs 14% had this
diagnosis prior to their celiac diagnosis. One has to wonder how many
people are still walking around with a misdiagnosis. We know that some 95%
of celiacs are undiagnosed in the US, and I suspect a similar number for
Canada.

And no one has said that every person not on a paleo diet is unhealthy.
Some of us are on the paleo diet as a preventative measure against getting
the various civilizatory diseases that now plague humans. And I'm tickled
pink with the eyesight improvement I'm getting.

And then I have often read that it takes several, like four, years for a
vegetarian that shouldn't be exclusively vegetarian to become rundown.

Don.