NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:35:37 -0800
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 14:30:47 -0500 Kristin T Hulling
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>1) Have any of you witnessed similar mood-altering reactions?

Yes!  And the diarrrhea and cramping not to mention red cheeks, eczema,
and sleep problems.

>2) When retesting to see if the allery still exists what food should
>you try first? (My pediatrician said yogurt, allergist said milk or
>cheese.) And how long do you wait before you see a reaction?

My allergist suggested either yogurt or cheese.  The proteins tend to be
a bit more "processed" by the fermentation.  We actually haven't
challenged with dairy for at least 6 months (either intentionally or
unintentionally).  I'm hoping to do so within the next month before we
see him again for her 2 year checkup, but we are having some sort of
problem with chronic eczema and diarrhea that we just can't figure out.

>3) If he is still allergic to milk, what should he be drinking?  I have
>tried regular soy milk but he hates it...he is still on soy formula, but
>I'm afraid he should be off of it by now (not to mention the cost!)

One of the problems with formula is that it is a complete meal and very
filling.  We use Vanilla flavored soy milk.  Try different brands and
flavors - they are different.  Try to avoid the low-fat ones since they
do need the fat at the this age.  We use one from Trader Joe's and I have
to limit my daughters intake - she'd drink it all day long if I let her!

BTW - Alyssa never tested positive to milk in the skin tests.  This just
means that she doesn't have an anaphylactic reaction - she does have an
intolerance to the proteins that is very easy to see.  As for the ear
infection, it could have been triggered by the milk allergy - it's not
uncommon.  My daughter has only had one ear infection since we figured
out the last allergy whereas she had one every other month or so before
that.

Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]