From:
ROSALIE F JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 05:02:37 -0400

I guess this web site issue is not going to die. Since my posting
yesterday, I have received over 25 replies. Only one was a little critical
and may have been a slight ego thing but since I find that particular site
very informative, full of verified information and from medical sources.

As I browsed the newer web sites and revisited the older sites, a thought
came to me.  Maybe my "own" problem with this whole web site issue, is that
unlike the celiac organization web sites and this particular discussion
list, most "independent" web sites do not have medical advisors.  Generally
there is no one with medical expertise reviewing them.  I would have to say
that I would tend to respect those with medical review over those that are
put together as a fun project or ego satisfier, as one of the respondents
called it.

Of the people who wrote back, all but one thanked me for bringing this to
discussion to the list and saying , as one person put it, that  she
couldn't have said it better herself!!

So with that I will say "Peruser beware!  It may be fun to browse all these
web sites but take some with a grain of salt because unless it is an
official web site, you can not be sure where the information was obtained,
whether or not it is correct information, whether it comes from a country
whose standards are different that the U.S., and whether the person writing
it really knows what they are talking about.  As far as information they
may have gleaned from other official or shall I say "sanctioned" web sites
where medical information is correct, I would ask that these people
IDENTIFY their sources so that we can all be sure they are safe. Just
because you have been diagnosed a celiac, does not make you an immediate
authority.

It also sets one up for liable, if the information that is written, quoted
(or borrowed) is not correct. This, in itself, is a dangerous situation and
those who are newly diagnosed are at great risk if they use incorrect
information such as was written in one site I visited this evening, one I
was not aware of.  This site stated that SPELT was low in gluten.  It DID
NOT state that SPELT IS WHEAT!!

Look out folks.  It is dangerous out there!!

Having dealt with the death of my husband from colon cancer in 1996 and
having searched for a way to keep him alive, I do not recall ever finding a
Private Web Site that gave out cancer cures from ordinary people, unless it
was Alternative Medicine and that is still under discussion.  Yes, they
referred to informative sites, discussion lists etc. and they were kept to
a minimum.  There own personal stories were informative and gave me a lot
of hope when I truly needed it but they were very careful what they wrote.
And mostly they were fighting a battle that took up all of their energies
which would explain their simplicity!!  They also did not consider
themselves authorities on anything and NEVER gave out advice.  I have seen
more Celiac Web Sites (or shall I call them "private" web sites) in the six
months than I saw in three years of fighting the "beast" called Cancer!

Those of you who know me, know that I serve as Region III Director for
CSA/USA, Inc.  Everything I have written has no connection with CSA and
they are probably unaware that I have even posted.  I have state my own
personal feelings on this issue in an effort to protect celiacs.  It is bad
enough to be diagnosed with CD and to know that you are "one for the rest
of your life", then to be scared or misinformed by something you read on
the Internet.  I now understand why the medical profession was so afraid of
medical subjects being discussed on-line.

Lastly, I would like to touch on Infertility and Celiac Disease since I see
many questions on here regarding that,  IF if the listowners will allow me
to "get personal".

For those of you who fear that you will not be able to concieve because
you have CD, let me say that my son Russ, diagnosed as a celiac 10 years
ago at the age of nineteen, will soon be the proud father of TWIN GIRLS,
who are expected to weigh 8 lbs. each if they wait until their due date to
be born (Aug. 1st).  I would say there is NO evidence of infertility here
<grin> .

Also, one of the women in our local support group gave birth to triplets.
She also has been a celiac for at least ten years.

My best to all.

Rosalie