From:
ROSALIE F JALBERT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 00:33:11 -0400

I am NOT a list owner nor connected with it but I would like to express my
"independent opinion" on this subject.

I can't, for the life of me, understand why (please forgive me) people feel
as if they must develop a web site which generally contains the same
materials as on this list serve.  Since this list has many archives, it
would seem that it would best serve the celiac community if everything was
in "one place".  It seems like a waste energy to have repetitive infomation
all over the web.  I have no problem with individual celiac groups having a
web site--that is to be expected but for just anyone with celiac disease to
establish another web site with the same or "borrowed" info makes no sense
to me.

What would better serve the entire celiac community would be for those
people who want a web site and appear to have to time to put into one, to
devote THEIR TIME to maintain a very thorough website.  For instance if you
wish a travel site, then ask the list owners if you can help them develop
one.

It is nice to do a search on celiac disease and find all these resources
BUT some are not kept up and lack information.  I sometimes wonder if some
of this is an "ego" thing, like a  "my page is better than yours" type of
thing.

I will admit that I would (and the list owners know this) like this list to
be more personal and I can see that to be a reason for some other
discussion lists to be developed where those who wish to, may throw a
little "humor" into the list or may get a little personal but there are
many subscribers to this list and that is not possible.  But to try to
"compete" with the list is what these personal web sites tend to appear to
be.  Forgive me if I have offended anyone but I think this needs to be said
"publicly". These guys (and girls) have worked too hard and put too much of
their energies in giving us this site for some people to continually
undermine it.

This list tries to give the most up-to-date info.  They have a Professional
List for doctors etc. to give their research and opnions and these are
incorporated into this list.

I find it amusing that there are those who want a "united effort" among all
celiac groups but then initiate web sites that draw people away from the
most INFORMATIVE  discussion list they could possible have.  Having been
one who has not always agreed with this list (as the listowners can tell
you), I still think it behooves us to try to add to--not take away
from--this list!  Volunteer your time if you have a need to get this info
out!!  It will make this list even better than it is and EVERY CELIAC will
benefit from it.

Just my humble opinion.

My best to all,
Rosalie