Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 08:34:15 -0700

In her summary to the above - Pat writes:

> When the blood antibody tests all came back negative for celiac
> disease, I went ahead with the >biopsy anyway, which showed
> inflammation of the small intestine and lymphocytes present, but
> no evidence of damage consistent with that of celiac disease.

When my Dr. tested me I got back the same results.  No to blood anitibodys
and severe inflamation.  He said that this, in conjunction with my dramatic
improvement on the GF diet clearly indicated Celiac disease.  I had already
been on a GF diet for 3 or 4 months, when the biopsy was ordered. (this was
imposed by my allergist due to allergies and severe reactions to these
grains - diarrhea, vomiting rapid and severe weight loss, etc)  I asked my
Dr. about the need to consume more gluten and he said: "why do this to
yourself?"

So to get round to my question... is this enough symptomology to go on in a
diagnosis?  I had always assumed that he knew what he was talking about
since he had celiac in his family.

TIA for your responses and knowledge,
Lynda Swink

P.S.  I will not go back and try again for a diagnosis, as I am happy with
the way I feel and function on the GF diet.  Also, in an incident with a
food manufacturer I was unwittingly subjected to a blind challenge of trace
glutens...this "blind challenge" lasted for one week before I got the
correct information back from the company.  Anyway, by then I was having
severe gas, bloating, and diarrhea!
\*/ Mailto:[log in to unmask] \*/ Southern California \*/\*/ _@v