From:
Danna Korn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 16:24:48 UT

I recently posted a question asking if people were eating their shampoo or if
there was, in fact, reason to be concerned about gluten-containing hair care
products.  I received dozens of responses, some of which were angry about my
"flippancy."  First let me apologize to those who thought I was being
flippant!  The summary of responses is that no one seems to know for sure.
There were people who were absolutely certain that gluten can be absorbed
through the skin; others said it absolutely cannot.  Some pointed out that
people with DH will be sensitive to these products.  Others pointed out that
people accidentally drink minute amounts of their shampoo while showering
(especially children).  I wish I could summarize for you, but responses were
all over the board!  I guess it will be one of those issues that you'll have
to go with your "gut" instinct (sorry).

Danna