From:
"Ron. B" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:23:45 -0700

Hello again,
I did receive a variety of responses regarding my posting on Sept. 18th, in
which I  stated that I had been suffering for years and had a biopsy done
that came back negative. This was only after a 3 week gluten
challenge.(This was after being gf for about 2 months). I also asked for
info on blood tests and how long should I be on a challenge before having
them, and how much gluten I should eat.
Here is a brief summary of the responses -
- Gluten challenge for at least 1 month, or preferably longer, or, until I
was good and sick. Consumption of gluten varied from 4 slices of bread a
day to 0.3 grams per 10kg of bodyweight per day. Based on 2-3 grams of
gluten in a slice of bread, that would be about 7 slices for me.

- Most said I was not on a challenge long enough before my biopsy or, the
procedure was not done properly producing a false negative. As long as I
had the anti endomysial and anti gliadin tests, the anti reticulin was not
necessary. If both test come back positive - get another biopsy by a better
qualified GI.

- Make sure test are done by an experienced lab. (Vancouver Childrens
hospital is the one that seems to do most of these types of test here) The
head dr there is on the advisory board for the Can. Celiac assoc.
Unfortunately he can't treat me as a patient as he only treats children.

- Some said maybe I had leaky gut and try eating L-Glutamine and
Megadopholus with each meal.
(maybe after I am diagnosed - if that ever happens)

- Maybe I have food allergies

- Try an exclusion diet

- Get tested for malabsorption of different vitamins and minerals.

- I was surprised that so many of you said that blood tests and biopsies
are not 100% accurate, and if I felt better being gf, why bother putting
myself through the gears.

In my opinion, and that of many others - BECAUSE self-diagnosis is
dangerous when playing with celiac disease and many other illnesses. There
could be other problems as well as a gluten or wheat intolerance. I did
feel much better being gf for the two months before my biopsy, but I was
not 100%. This could be because I was not gf long enough to completly heal
or because there is another internal problem that has nothing to do with
gluten. With gluten being only part of my particular illness. A lot of
people that responded are in the same situation that I'm in - They feel
better being gf, and have maintained the diet for a considerable time, yet
their problems persist. Most of these people, I might add, have not been
confirmed by blood or biopsy.

Thanks to all that responded to my problems. If anyone would like more info
on any of the responses I received, I would happy to correspond back. Oh
yeah - I have been eating gluten for a month now and am feeling good and
sick - mostly numerous trips to the toilet and abdominal pain. I have
decided that I will give it another week or two eating lots of bread and
pasts, then get the blood work done.

Cheers,

Ron