NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"John E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 10:14:38 EDT
I cannot tolerate casein, yet butter seems to be not much of a problem.
Cream and half & half are, for me, out, as there's enough casein in the
non-fat portion of the fluid that my body gets into trouble.

Looking at the percentages:

Half & Half is about 12-15% fat (read that 85-88% milk)
Cream is 16-25% fat (English cream being fattier than USA, as a matter of
preference)
Butter is 98-100% fat (which is why it tastes so good!)

On a different note, I've had pretty good luck with Soymage Parmesan
Substitute (I don't know the exact title, but it's the Soymage brand) as
it smells and tastes pretty close to Parmesan - jury is still out on the
other Soymage products.

Regards

||  John E. Cornell - Rockville, Maryland  ||