NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"John E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:35:58 EST
Allow me to introduce myself - I was diagnosed with several allergies as
a child, having chronic problems with asthma, ear, sinus and bronchial
infections.  I did several years of allergy shots as a child (ages 4-14)
and as an adult (30-36).  My allergists have indicated that I'm allergic
to the usual dust, ragweed, mold, feathers, etc.  I am married, have
three children, two of whom are celiac (they are the first celiacs to
show up on either side of the family, which is quite a mystery, but life
is filled with unexplained things.  I'm 39.

My eldest child got into a good playgroup years ago, and the Mom of one
of the kids in play group is by vocation a nurse who happens to have a
child who cannot tolerate casein.  One day she said to my wife, "You
know, your husband gets sick way too often, you should consider whether
or not he has a problem with dairy."  My loving spouse pondered that, and
then noticed that there was a pattern of nights when I had a small bowl
of ice cream before going to bed being followed by mornings that I needed
to use an asthma inhaler (proventil) to get the old lungs clear in the
morning.  This fall I went dairy free, and after a few mistakes,
discovered that the apparent culprit is not milk per se, but casein.  I
can tolerate a small amount of dairy (cheese on a pizza) without too much
trouble, but if I go overboard, I notice the familiar bronchial
constriction, itching in the ears, etc.

Is there any reliable, reputable test to confirm that I have a problem
with casein?  I'm doing well on a dairy free diet, or actually a dairy
avoiding diet - I do have small amounts in certain dishes, and just avoid
things like milk based custards, chowders, and have nixed half-and-half
in my coffee (farm rich is ok, but it's not quite the same).  I'm wary of
self-diagnosis, so I'd like to know if there is a reliable, reputable
test for the next time I see my doctor.

I've worked out a few recipes (for instance, my DF/GF pumpkin custard
recipe was discussed on the CELIAC list) and welcome any good DF recipes
from this list as well.