From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:03:32 -0800
On  7 Apr 98 at 9:48, Richard Tan wrote:

> Would adding an additional 2 MB RAM onto a S3 Virge PCI video card with an
> existing 2 MB RAM speed things up or would it just help with resolutions and
> not speed up Windows, for example.  A friend is thinking of doing that and I
> don't want him to waste the money but instead put it toward an better
> graphics card, say one with a Riva 128 or Permedia 2 chip.
>
> Any advice with regard to extra video RAM would be appreciated.

  Some high-end cards *do* show performance improvements from extra
memory, but most mid-range or el-cheapo boards do not.  I don't know
for sure about the Virge, but odds are very good that it will help
resolution and colour depth, and not performance.  2MB is enough to
do 800x600x32bit, so unless he's got at least a 17" monitor, adding
higher resolutions isn't going to buy him anything.

David G