From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:42:31 -0500
Hello to all

I have a 6.3 gig hard drive that I am having a problem with.  This drive was
on a brand new machine that worked perfectly, then suddenly was completely
dead.  The reason for it demise are still unknown.  I have replaced the
motherboard, after which the machine started up immediately, and am in the
process of resurecting the machine.

When I started the machine I got a couple of error messages that led me to
believe the fat32 table had been corrupted so as this machine is unused I
simple formattted the drive.  I ran fdisk and said yet to the fat32 option.
Then I fdisked the drive created a single maximum size partition, then
formatted the drive.

When I went to install Win95 ver. 2.5 scandisk through an error saying the
fat32 table had an error and it could not complete or repair the scandisk
operation.  I went back did the fdisk and format thing again with the same
results.  The error message also contains a statement about a possible bad
sector.

Is it possible that a low level format may help to find and eliminate this
new bad sector?  Will a BIOS low level format find and mark something like
this or should I be looking for some more sophisticated software?

Any other suggestions as to how to repair or bypass this bad sector?

Mike Buraczewski

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**