NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dennis Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 17:24:10 +0800
> From MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU!owner-no-milk Thu Jan  8 16:46:54 1998
> Date:         Thu, 8 Jan 1998 18:36:26 -0600
> From:         R D <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Re: NO-MILK Digest - 6 Jan 1998 to 7 Jan 1998
> To:           [log in to unmask]
>
> I recently discovered that I am lactose intolerant, and I am playing
> with my diet to see how much I can tolerate (although I am thinking
> about giving up dairy in general).
>
> Are the Ultra Lactaid pills constipating?  .......

Gee, I thought it was only me ... :) I have that problem with regular
lactaid pills also if I take them as a precautionary measure when
I'm not sure if there is any dairy in the meal (restaurants usually) and
there turns out not to be. That is one reason I gave up dairy in general.
It was just too hard to balance the dosage of lactaid and the ingested
dairy to avoid this particular side effect.

Lactaid, by the way, denies any knowledge of this side effect. I called
them a couple of years ago and asked.

> Second question -- Where do you find Rice Dream at the grocery store?
> Is it refrigerated next to the dairy products or on a shelf?

On a shelf.

> Thanks so much.  I'm learning a lot from lurking on this list.

I was a lurker also but there is just too much good info on this list
and it is really helpful to share experiences. I spent way too much time
suffering in ignorance for too many years to stand by and see anyone else
do it if I can help.

Dennis.