From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:08:44 PDT

This email was posted to the no-milk list and is about Celiac:

********************************
Date:    Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:46:42 -0700
From:    Ellen Weiser <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Rice Dream

In order to avoid further confusion, I'd like to clarify a few points in
Explorer's statement about Rice Dream. RICE DREAM BEVERAGE is made
primarily from rice, it does not contain whole wheat or barley
ingredients.  However, our patented enzymatic process uses enzymes,
which are derived from various grains including barley, to convert the
complex carbohydrates in brown rice to naturally occurring sugars.  The
actual grains used to grow the enzymes are discarded after the enzymes
are extracted. The barley protein in the final RICE DREAM BEVERAGE
product, if present at all, would occur in parts per million amounts
(less than 5 mg barley protein  per 8 oz serving). In addition, the
enzymes are essentially used up in the process, (broken down to peptides
and amino acids).  It is therefore possible, that gluten may exist in
minute amounts in the final product.We are not required by the FDA to
list  the enzymes, how they are developed, or how they are used in the
processing of our products.

However, we certainly do not wish to mislead or endanger our gluten
sensitive customers.  In response to consumer requests, beginning in the
Fall of 1998, the Rice Dream Beverage container will be labeled to
indicate the presence of trace amounts of gluten. We understand that
there is no established "safe" level of gluten for Celiac patients.  We
hope knowing the amount of gluten which may be present in RICE DREAM
will allow people, in conjunction with their health care providers, to
make informed decisions about whether RICE DREAM beverages are
appropriate for their diets.

We apologize for any confusion regarding this subject.  Please contact
me directly if I can be of further help.Ellen WeiserImagine Foods, Inc.
Ph: 800-333-6339  (ext. 36)Fax:650-327-1459Email: [log in to unmask]

Abigail, St Paul, MN
Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group http://www.customforum.com/celiac/
Moderated chats:Sun 10pm-12am E.T.,Mon 8-10pm E.T.,Wed at 1pm E.T.
Non-Moderated Chat Wed 8-10pm E.T.