From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 10:00:27 -0500
At 07:03 PM 4/3/1998  Qian Jun  wrote:

>I may be wrong but I want to ask that which AGP speed BX will
>support, 66 or 133?

Qian Jun:

The Front End Bus (Intel's name for the system
bus where main memory resides) runs at 100MHz
on BX chipset motherboards.

AGP is on this BUS running 100MHz, unlike
PCI graphics cards which run on the 33MHz
PCI Bus and must contend with other PCI devices
using that bus.

AGP is theoretically capable of 528 MB/s in 2x mode,
but needs the 100 MHz Bus to do it (cf: Tom's Hardware
Guide at: http://www.tomshardware.com/bxfirst.html).

Going to a 133MHz Front End Bus is off in the future
because RAM speeds must increase.  I also think they
may not bother going from 100MHz to 133MHz, but will
instead go to a higher speed, when they decide to
increase the speed of the Front End Bus.

Watch for Intel selling their own "motherboard, CPU and
case" bare bones systems.

Regards,

John Chin