NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:44:53 -0500
>How about Hams- can't use the kosher symbols for them. If I buy a fresh
>(non- smoked) ham how would I cook it? Are the canned hams ok?

Many years ago, my mother-in-law decided to bake a ham (for one of the
holidays). It was a HoneyBaked ham from their store. We still don't know
what did it, but Josh had a *very* bad reaction: came up in hives, had
trouble breathing, was *extremely* itchy, and, eventually, went into a
major eczema flare. He responded (eventually) to antihistamines and a
nebulizer (in retrospect, he should have been given epi and taken to the
ER). We suspected that there was milk in the curing process or nut
contamination in the baking process, but we were never sure.

The good news, besides the fact that grandma became religiously careful
from then on, is that Josh can eat many hams. We're a lot more careful to
check ingredients and to make sure that there was little chance of
"contamination" with allergens.

Mark Feblowitz