From:
Changhsu P Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 14:35:46 GMT
I installed Iomega Buz (SCSI + video capture card) and now my sound card
refuses to work. From my understanding, it's a IRQ problem. So, I checked
the IRQ setup.

Before I installed, my sound card (Acer AW32 Pro) occupies 2 IRQs:
        05 Crystal PnP audio system codec,
        09 Crystal PnP audio system MPU-401 compatible.

Buz uses 2 IRQs too. One is for its SCSI card part 10 (which was used by my
Adaptec 2920 SCSI card) and 09 (Buz itself and is called multimedia
producer).

My colleage advised me to disable (15) my secondary IDE controller from
BIOS (since I don't use it) and reinstall sound card (by deleting it first
from "Device Manager" and adding new hardware). After installation, move it
to 15. After I did this, it said "no conflict" but when I restarted, it
freezed when checking my hardware components. It stopped when checking my
modem and before modem it was on my sound card. Taking the sound card out,
everything goes to normal. I tried to change the IRQ for Buz but it didn't
allow me to change.

Anything I can do to make my new video capture card work?

Also, if you know any web info on learning more about IRQs, please let me
know...

I also have the following questions
What does "IRQ holder for PCI steering" mean?
Why does all my PCI devices have "IRQ holder for PCI steering" with the
same IRQ number?
Why does some devices can share the same IRQ number while others can not?
Why my com port has com3 or com5 and sometimes my modem has to use com1 and
it moves to com5 (after reinstalling the system)?

Thanks for the help,

Changhsu Liu