From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:49:25 -0600
At 05:39 PM 4/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Bob,
>
>Sorry for being so vague.  I have a parallel port Zip and my OS is Windows
>95.  Two things happened since my request for help: First, by itself, the
>cd-rom returned!  Second, after I had unplugged it to bring it to a second
>location and then returned it, the cd-rom was gone again!
>So I tried just unplugging it and hard booting, and lo and behold, I have my
>cd-rom back again.  I would like to have them both operating consistently at
>the same time.  Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>
>George

To me...   this sounds like a conflict.  You will need to open your Device
Manager:    Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager
You will need to double click on the Computer icon and examine the
IRQ - I/O - Memory access - DMA  that your Zip drive is using.   My
first guess is that the Zip drive is requesting IRQ15 and taking it from
your secondary controller that your CD Rom drive uses.

This is a difficult one without sitting in front of the system.   You will need
to find a way to remap your system access for the Zip drive so that it
does not confliict with the CD Rom drive.  It also could be that the
CD Rom has been configured to request a DMA channel.  This is
unnecessary and can be turned off...  you will need to check all possible
conflicts...   does either drive load a driver in the Config.sys file?  I would
examine the system requests on the computer that the zip drive works
on...   and try to remap your CD rom drive on the problem system
to match....

BOB WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Owner   PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ