NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 16:13:15 -0500
>She called the company, and they told her that U-D meant there was
>absolutely no milk in the product, but that it was manufactured on
>equipment which also carried products which contained milk. All
>that I have read indicates that these items would be labeled U-DE,
>not U-D.

I believe that in this case they have the option of labelling either
DE or D.  The DE label is rarely used.  It may be the case that OU
(the U in a circle) doesn't use the DE at all, and requires all such
products to be labelled dairy.  OK (K in a circle) does use it (see
dark chocolate toblerone, for example).

--Robyn