From:
Shannon Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 00:14:35 EST

Dear List members,

This is my first post so please bear with me.  I am a newly diagnosed celiac
(approx.  6 months) and I have a few questions.  I was diagnosed with
rheumatoid arthritis 3 years ago and I have been on meds for that ever since.
Last spring my iron level was found to be very low and the doctors thought I
had a GI bleed from my medication.  I was diagnosed after biopsies were done
during my endoscopy.  By the way, no GI bleed!  I spent the summer on a GF
diet and was re-biopsied in the fall.  Celiac sprue was confirmed at that
time.  One problem I have (or don't have) is the terrible GI symptoms after
ingesting gluten.  Is there anyone out there like me?  In retrospect I did
have alot of the other symptoms like hair loss, thin nails, bloating, low
iron, etc.

Anyway, after much research I have found that there is a connection between
arthritis-like symptoms and sprue.  I did a med-line search thru the Texas
Medical Assoc.  and got numerous articles on this subject!  My most profound
symptom is the arthritis!  After a few days of cheating I feel like a 90 year
old for the next week or two.  By the way, I am 36!  Is there anyone out
there who has arthritis associated with their sprue diagnosis?  Is there
anyone out there who does not have the terrible GI symptoms everyone talks
about?  After 6 months on the diet I have stopped taking my arthritis meds
and do great as long as I don't cheat.  But because of lack of immediate
terrible problems (GI or otherwise) I find it hard to say no the cookies and
cake sometimes!  (Just one day of cheating does not cause me too much joint
discomfort).  If there is anyone out there in my shoes please write to me.  I
have had a difficult time accepting my diagnosis because of the lack of
immediate illness when I ingest gluten.  I have many more questions but will
stop now since this is my first post.

Thanks to all of you who participate in this list!  I have been reading your
mail for about 6 weeks and have learned so much.  I am thrilled to be a
member!

Shannon in Texas