From:
Joel Elias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 10:20:41 -0400

My original post was prompted by the fact that my diet has been gluten- and
lactose-free for over two years, and my stomach is still very sensitive.
Citrus, grape or tomato juices, spicy or fatty foods cause stomach pain
after eating despite taking 30 mg of Prevacid daily.

Based on the number of responses (over 35) this appears to be a fairly
common problem.

o More than half of the respondents specifically stated that they have
problems with citrus and acidic fruits and juices, spicy foods, fats and oils.

o Also mentioned were sensitivities to sugar, tea, coffee, fructose,
refined sugar and chocolate.

o Respondents noted they had been GF or GF/LF between 1 and 24 years.

Suggestions from respondents:

o Two suggested the problems could be unrelated.

o Try a mouthful of any new food. If no problem, introduce a little at a time.

o Read "Eat Right For Your Type" by Peter J. D'Adamo.

o Keep a food diary.

o Prevacid mey cause stomach pain.

o Eat smaller meals.

o Be patient. An MD told one person it takes one year of recovery for each
7-years of undiagnosed CD.

o Check for gall bladder disease.

o Fructose intolerance.

o Candida yeast overgrowth.

o Food allergies

Palliatives:

o Axid, Tagamet, Prevacid, Prelief, Mylanta.

o Digestive enzymes.

o Min Ra Sol liquid minerals to settle stomach after meals.

Only one person suggested pushing my doctor for additional diagnostic effort.

Sincere thanks to all of the respondents. Because there were so many, and
since one person requested anonymity, I have tried to include their key
points without attribution. Sorry it has taken so long to put this together.

Joel H. Elias
Pittsford, NY
mailto:[log in to unmask]