From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 18:49:30 EDT

In reading about bone density I realize, especially in young girls,
scoliosis (curvature of the spine)is a fairly common problem.  My daughter had
scoliosis at a young age and I was wondering if it is common in children with
CD.

I was given the explanation that it might have been caused by
carrying book bags on one shoulder.  I cannot remember that my daughter
carried heavy books, because I drove her to elementary school and she
had contained classrooms with desks and didn't have much homework when she
developed the problem (20 years ago).  Her friends who had the same experience
with books, did not develop this problem, but scoliosis was not
uncommon.  Doctors offered no remedy except an operation to insert a pole next
to the spine to retard the bending of the spine.  I did not opt for the
operation as she had so many allergies and asthma, therefore, the risks were
too great.

It appears to me now that calcium deficiency could cause the bones to
soften and bend.  This is not a theory the medical profession confirmed,
and offered little explanation other than the book theory.

If a child is diagnosed with scoliosis could it be another sign of CD or
malabsorption of vitamins and minerals?  Does anyone have any experience
with this one?

Carol in NJ