Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 23:27:48 -0500
From:
Kristina Weaver <[log in to unmask]>

Dear List,

I received a total of 9 responses to my request for anecdotal information
regarding the use of colonics to mitigate the "touchiness" of my digestion and
the years of gut upheaval I suffered pre-diagnosis.

Five of these responses were in fact *not* anecdotal information based on
experience, but rather opinions based on something heard/read/etc.

These five people were all either neutral or opposed to colonics.
Counter-suggestions they offered included coffee enemas to detoxify the liver;
metamucil (1 tsp to counteract gluten reactions); and D'Adamo's "Eat Right For
Your Type" diet.

One person had had a very bad experience (an intestinal valve shut down, which
a naturopath treatment finally relieved).

Three people offering accounts based on actual personal experience had
positive things to say about colonics.  Two said that the colonics were a good
short-term strategy but that other strategies were better for long-term
maintenance (metamucil; juice therapy).

The other person had a very good experience, which I will quote in part here:

"I had a series of colonics in April of 1996, before I knew about CD.  I had
candida so bad that my muscles were seriously damaged.  The candida yeast
produce toxins which damage proteins. I was also very sensitive to chemicals,
perfumes, etc.  About a week after the 3rd colonic, the chemical sensitivity
went away. My muscles started to feel better (although they are STILL
recovering today).  I went GF in August of 1997 and I am almost 100%.  The
colonics probably saved my life, literally.  I was at the end of my rope
back then, unable to sleep with aching legs, unable to concentrate, unable
to function.  They at least bought me time until I learned about CD.

Needless to say, I recommend them.  Since CD damages villi, the villi cannot
move food along the GI tract as efficiently as they normally could.  Food can
then get "stuck", just like your plumbing pipes get clogged.  A colonic is
analogous to using a pipe cleaner!

I also take lactobascillus acidiphillus daily (capsule) and psyllium husks
for preventive maintenance."

Finally, I can report that I had a series of 3 colonics in 10 days (as did my
husband, who does not have CD) and while the experience is not altogether
"pleasant," it was rewarding (and educational!) to get things all scrubbed out.
 I was not in as much need of it as I had feared - apparently my high-fiber,
low-starch diet has taken care of that.  The intestinal flora balance can
possibly be disturbed by the colonic process (many of the anti-colonic opinions
expressed cited this as their basis) but I experienced no repercussions
related to this--just took some acidophilus, drank some buttermilk, ate some
yogurt, no big deal.

I still have the touchy gut, and am exploring some herbal options (flaxseed,
liquid chlorophyll, niacin, dulse, and oral enzyme therapy) in hopes of calming
down the spasming and such.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Kristina Weaver Brandabur
Chicago, IL