From:
"K.A.W. D.R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:54:19 -0800
Orestes Alvarez Jr. wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering what is the best brand for hard drive. I am
> looking for a good hard drive, but I don't know with one to buy.

You didn't give specs for size, speed, SCSI or EIDE, whatever, so....
There are numerous excellent manufacturers, so opt for the BEST warranty
coverage (3-yr. minimum).  Within each brand there are usually 3 or 4
"levels" of quality, obviously priced accordingly, so NEVER
choose the cheapest unless it is an economic necessity. One good way to
find a "deal" is to check the ratings and reviews in the major mags from
six months to two years ago (online or local library archives), then
search for special sales on the best-rated models, which by now usually
have been supplanted with this year's variation.  Like mattresses, often
the only thing really changed is the model numbers & packaging. Sites
like www.pricewatch.com and www.streetprices.com are quick reference
sources for "the going rate".
Good Luck
Dave Ross