NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larissa Blechman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:56:23 -0500
Hi all, this is a basic recipe for nut milk:

1/2 cup chopped nuts (cashews, almonds or other nut os your choice,
unroasted)
2 cups water, best if warm
1 tsp. honey or other sweetner
vanilla wxtract  (or  almond if you wish)

Blend nuts and all other indredients in a blender until smooth.  Strain
mix and refrigerate for up to 3 days.  You can use the strained material
as a thickener for a soup or stew as long as its not too sweet.  It is a
shame to throw it out so find a way to use it. At the very  least throw
it in the compost heap not the trash.

This milk is good especially if you are on a rotation diet as we are, we
can vary the cooking liquid that we use by the day by using different
nuts so that I stay on my very strict diet.  Also adds the good fat and
protein that we need.  Does anyone make rice milk?  We make that too but
use Rice Dream for cereal.  We are gluten intolerant but seem to do ok
with small amounts of Rice Dream.  I use nut milk and homemade rice milk
for cooking and baking.

I have a number of Amaranth recipes but they are all from cookbooks, are
we allowed to post directly from cookbooks?  I think not but someone
please let me know.  I have not had success using Amaranth as a direct
substitute for wheat but mix it with arrowroot flour.  The Allergy Self
Help Cookbook, available at libraries and bookstores has great recipes
using amaranth.  Arrowhead Mills  also has some recipes on its box of
amaranth but I think that you have to use wheat with all of them.

Anmaranth can be expensive, try to find it in bulk  through a food
cooperative or through a distributor.  They also can usually provide
recipes.  I can provide more cookbook references if folks desire and
will look for some of my recipes that are not direct from a book.  Hope
this info helps,

Larissa