From:
Maurizio Geneletti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:38:34 +0100

Hello, this is the summary of the replies I have received to my question.
Probably it was not that simple to answer and I like to attach the comment
received from Mary in NYC that I completely share and that is the best
summary of the replies.  Thanks to those who wrote.

I am sure you will get many replies to your post, and that you will find
that people report a variety of experiences. My sense of it is that each of
us can use the experience of others as a guide, a help in narrowing things
down, but in the end each of us has to figure out the variations that apply
to us.

- one person said at the very beginning the time from ingestion to the itch
was 15 to 20 minutes.  After 1 year and half on GF now the rash is less
important than other new kind of problems (digestive pain) and in any case
now is not less than several hours.

- another one at the beginning had rash after 1 or 2 days; after 18 months
GF went on a gluten challenge and did not developped the rash but
bloating and nausea

- another one said the average is about 3 days

- another one said the average is within 3-5 hours every time

- another one said the average is about 3 days but sometimes becomes ill
after 5 to 8 hours and see DH a few days later

- another case within 12 hours

- one said it starts to appear withing 15 minutes up to 2 hours after
ingestion

- one at the beginning (14 years ago) had reaction within 12 hours
Now after being very compliant for long time reaction is within 24-36
hours