Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 1998 09:26:54 -0500

Many thanks for all those who took the time to respond. In my original
post, I asked why some Celestial Seasonings Teas were GF and others were
not.   I spoke with someone at Celestial Seasonings who was very helpful.
The only questionable ingredient in many of the teas was the "other natural
flavors."  I was told that these flavors are made up of herbs, with traces
of maltodextrin.  There has been discussion of this on the listserv before
whether or not Maltodextrin is okay.  At the bottom of this page I have
listed the products that have no "other natural flavors."

Celestial Seasonings is aware of the gluten free community as they have a
separate listing for (they call it) "gluten sensitive individuals."  So at
least they seem to be trying.  In addition, if you call, they will send
coupons. :)

One very nice poster had Celestial Seasonings email me.  This is what I
received:

Persons that have reactions to gluten should avoid
consuming any wheat, barley, oats or rye.  Some
Celestial Seasonings' products contain roasted
barley and/or roasted barley malt.  These
ingredients are always listed on the label when
present.  These include, but may not be limited to (check the
labels, we are constantly adding new ones):  Almond Sunset, English
Toffee, Ginseng Plus, Roastaroma, Sugar Plum Spice, Vanilla Hazelnut.

Another potential issue concerning some gluten
sensitive individuals may be natural flavors.
Some natural flavors are extracted using grain
alcohol derived from corn.  According to our
reference sources, this should not be an area of
concern and should not interfere with a  gluten
free regimen.
Celestial Seasonings.
4600 Sleepytime Dr.  Boulder, CO.  80301-3292. Phone-1-303-530-5300. Fax-
1-303-581-1249.  E-mail:[log in to unmask]  Web Site:
www.celestialseasonings.com.

Celestial Seasonings Teas that do NOT contain "other natural flavors"

Herb:Chamomile, Mint Magic, Peppermint, Sleeyptime, Roastaroma

Black Teas: English Breakfast, Morning Thunder, Mountain Estate, Mountain
Estate defaffeinated

Thanks again to all that helped out with this endeavour.