From:
Chris Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 03:32:21 +1000

Sorry it took so long but I had to go away re work and have not been able to
summarise. My question mailed 5/17/98 was:

>Has anybody heard of "Thickener, Acetylated distarch
>phosphate" an ingredient of Sharwoods Indian Tikka
>Masala Medium Curry Sauce? It has a code No E1414
>printed after it.

>This is a product of UK, sold here.

>J A Sharwood and Co Ltd, Church Rd, Egham,
>Surrey TW20 9QG.

>All the other ingredients appear on the face
>of it to be GF.

>There is another vague item namely "Acidity
>Regulator, Latic Acid E270"

I got 3 responses from David Walland of UK; David of Closter, NJ  USA; Nino
& Anita, which generally are as follows:

It was suggested "Acetylated DiStarch Phosphate" could be a name made up by
the sales

Advice was that in UK, Sharwoods have started taking coeliac seriously and
labels note whether the contents are GF (among other things) or not.

Another comment was beware of "starch" which I am sure all CD people do.

Lactic Acid is OK unless you are lactose sensitive at which there may be a
point that you are intolerant.

A warning was given that GF Status in on country will not be definitive in
another owing to differing formulations for export, repacking etc.

There was a comment by one that Maggi uses the above ingredient in their
Chilli Sauce in Australia.

Not much to go on I'm afraid!!!

Chris Pearson
Tel +61-(0)2-4733-8547