From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 21:35:08 -0400
On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Mary wrote:

> I posted some info about ketogenic diets on the Autism list, hoping to help
> some parents learn about it,  and the list monitors (not owners, just self
> appointed monitors) got on the list talking about how "dangerous" a
> ketogenic diet is.

I don't think it has ever been shown that a ketogenic diet is
dangerous.  On the other hand, I also don't think it has been
shown that a ketogenic helps autistic kids, but it might do so.

For long term, I think it would be next to impossible to keep a
kid on a ketogenic diet.

> Do we eat ho-hos and twinkies under medical supervision? Some of my friends'
> kids eat a 99%  'carbo'genic diet, is that not harmful?

For some kids, it is no doubt harmful.  Others seem to be healthy
enough.

> What is the true danger of a diet high in fat and protein and very low in carbs?

I don't think there is any.  Do the critics have any specific
evidence of danger? (I stopped reading the general autism list
long ago)

Todd Moody