From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 19:38:44 -0500
The book that I have found re edible wild plants is a Peterson field
guide, A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants.  Mine is designated for
Eastern/Central North America.  Earlier today, Cindy mentioned the
Northwest version.  Mine lists 373 plants of 100+ edible species in this
region.  It  includes info as to identification,  preparation and some
comparisons to more familiar cultivated  foods.
    Earlier, I  questioned whether or not th eskimo diet should be
emulated.  The question is simplistic because many of the references are
in that they are imprecise.
the diet of arctic populations obviously varied as to region relative to
latitude, area within which to migrate season to season and the variable
types of fodd sources relative to various fish and mammals as well as
seasonal availability of plant foods.  I think that it is an extreme on
the continuum of Paleo diets  just as paleo populations  on the Indian
subcontinent would have to be considered very distinct relative to
available food sources and a much longer seasonal availablility of plant
foods.  I recall that Dr. De Vany, in recognizing this intrinsic
varialbility of a "paleo" diet,  stated that his chosen epoch and region
for modeling his diet choices was the cro magnon poplation of Europe @
40,000 years ago.  I  thnik I am fairly accurate in my recollection
although the comment may have been on one of the other lists  where he
contributes.  My point is that we should be careful in making dogmatic
statements of the absolute propriety of the "ideal" diet.  It really is
a matter of choice and I  hope to make that choice recognizing the
limits of the science we are  adopting.
    I  also disagree with any admonishment that  strenuous excercise is
counterproductive;  again, this is a matter of choice with a lot of
evidence to be trotted out that  paleo hunter/gatherers  were incredibly
fit specimens not by  surfing the web, waiting for mail  order antelope,
or firing up the cuisinart to lay in some pemican but rather by humping
across the countryside for their sustenance.  I imagine that they logged
incredible milage on the callused feet and  would tend to look more like
decathletes (male and female) than your average couch potato.  Again,
type and level of excercise is a choice but I think we fail in our
thinking when we forget that diet is inextricably bound up with what we
are doing with our body.  Heavy loads of protein will be utilized much
differently in an active body wiht a high drgree of muscle mass as
compared to a person whose primary excercise is walking a mile or so a
day.  I do not mean to imply that one cannot be healthy and live to a
ripe old age with a low level of excercise;  rather, rational diet
choices should take into account the fuel burning and storing program
you have impsed on your body.
    Finally,  I  marvel at the healthy, happy, prosperous people I know
who consume the SAD;  similarly,  the last time I looked,  the primary
factor exacerbating all other environmental issues was overpopulation.
despite massive departure from the paleo diet,  the world is busting at
the seams with consumers.  The fact is that, like bears, racoons and
possums,  people can and will eat anything and be able to rapidly
overpopulate on it.
    Fianlly, a comment on the land bridge that was mentioned earlier re
eskimoes;  obviously, that only apples to norht american populations
andagain, is a subpopulation in that many of the migrants would have
turned south and encountered a completely distinct flora and fauna.  My
genes, with exception of a fraction of Cherokee, are, as far as I know,
European and thus the land bridge migrants  are not particularly
relavant to my inquiry as to the  appropriate ancestral diet.
    I really enjoy this list the short itme I have been on it  and I am
amazed at the level of knowledge , including self knowledge, of some the
contributors;  I also see some dogmatic assertions which are
scientifically silly;  I am also old enough to realize that todays silly
remarks are often tomorrow's guidelines!