NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:25:31 -0600
<<<Oh, you also may try a medical alert bracelet when you daughter is
old
enough. I think they basically recommend them starting at age 4.
Teachers I
think are especially tuned into these. >>>

My daughter has been wearing a Medical Alert bracelet since she was one
and a half.  She is so used to it that she never thinks about it.  She
is soon going to be four.  She shows her bracelet off like it is a
precious jewel and IT IS.  She is usually shy but not regarding this
subject.  I can't tell you how many people has asked about her
bracelet.  They even ask to see the engraving on the back.  It truly
does add legitimacy to her allergy.  Most of the people who ask are
surprised about milk being in so many things, etc. and receive a bit of
an education from me AND my youngster.

It is also a comfort.  I have some peace of mind that if something
should happen to her and we were separated her bracelet could say
everything she can't.  I urge you to go ahead with the bracelet.  We had
to shorten the chain a bit but that was no big deal.  In this time we've
replaced the chain once.  The bracelet only broke that one time.  She
never takes it off, except occasionally at bath time.  They are gold or
stainless steel so getting wet is no big deal either.

I'd be interested to know how many people have bracelets for their milk
allergic children.  You may reply by private e-mail, if you wish.

Deborah