From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:19:52 +0100
Once the meat is dried it can be stored for years, I think,
only it is stored dry, and contains no (unrendered) fat.
The problem with storing food cold is that when you take it out in
warmer air, the food collects moist from the air (condensation).
The rendering of fat for pemmican does the same to it as does
dehydrating to the meat. (Dehydrating does not work sufficiently
with fat.)
Pemmican is a handy way to store and transport a good combination
of meat and fat. You are can experiment just as you like to get
variants you like. I usually use olive oil instead of suet, wich
means I store it in little plastic boxes and eat with a spoon or
fork. I also often put dehydrated and ground celery stalks into it.

- Hans