NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:20:11 -0500
To avoid getting into one of these long-standing and unresolvable
arguments, let me just point out that I very carefully said that vomiting,
fever, and malaise are not "normal" symptoms of LI or milk allergy, not
that they were impossible ones. But realistically, in the vast majority of
such cases you would need to look elsewhere for an explanation before
looking at milk, which, understandably or not, too many people on this list
have a tendency to blame for everything.

I'm glad Leslie Beachwood's fibromyalgia cleared up, but since even she
admitted that whatever ailed her was not LI or allergy in the traditional
sense, I'm going to leave an open mind on whether milk was involved there
or not, even if the two went away together. The real problem with
diagnosing anything as a "cause" lies in separating it out from the million
other things that impinge upon our lives. I can't do it for myself, even
though I've been following the issue professionally for 20 years. I agree
that a pattern is significant, but I wouldn't go much further than that.
The pattern may be cause, effect, irrelevant, or sheer coincidence.  And as
with the man whose posting started all this, coincidences do happen, much
more often than most people would care to admit.

Sorry if I've stomped on anyone's sacred cow, you should pardon the
expression,
Steve Carper