NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 19:27:40 -0800
Weight gain

Ginger asked for news on any supplement that would be dairy free, soy free
and corn free for her 3 year old.  We are in the same boat with a 25 lb
2 1/2 year old who can not eat any of these things, nor grains/nuts/eggs.

As far as I know (and I would love to be wrong), there isn't one.  The
Neocate One our gastroenterologist/nutritionist recommended gave my son
a horrible reaction whether thru the cornsyrup solids, the assorted food
colorings, or the saccharine, or the maltodextrin I don't know.  Why do
they go to all the trouble of making an amino acid drink for children who
can't have protein and then fill it up with JUNK??

Anyway, we add a lot of oil (olive oil, canola oil) to Nicky's food and his
snacks .  He eats jars of organic baby food (there are only a few flavors he
can tolerate, like chicken/rice) as snacks --I imagine they are like pudding
treats for other kids.  He eats juice popsicles and we fry some things for him
just to get the fat percentage in his diet up.  We offer him food all day--
he has many small meals and snacks.  (Of course, he's still underweight but
he is gaining a bit now).

The doctors do keep wanting us to feed him Polycose (sugar syrup-caloric
supplements) and Neocate but we are convinced that if we can boost his daily
intake 100+ calories with 'real' food then it will be of more use to him.

Hope this helps.  Susan.