From:
Brian Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 11:34:27 -0400
on Thu Jul 17 10:01:58 1997, Todd Moody writes:

> An anecdote to consider:  My grandmother became a Seventh-Day
> Adventist in 1940, at age 44.  Following the "health reforms" of
> the SDA church, originally developed by John Harvey Kellogg (who
> was excommunicated from the SDA church in 1907) and others, she
> stopped eating meat of any kind, except for fish (but not
> shellfish, crabs, etc.), which she ate only once or twice a
> month, if that.  She died in 1990, at 94 years of age.  She
> suffered no heart attacks or cancer and remained mentally alert
> until about the last four months of her life.  At that time, she
> simply withered away, physically and mentally, and died in her
> sleep.  If old age has ever been an actual cause of death, it was
> in this case.

I am a Seventh-day Adventist (or at least my wife is and I put on a good
show of it) and grew up an SDA and vegetarian.  I would like to point out
that the SDA church does not "excommunicate" people.  Wrather it
"disfellowships" people.  This is not quite as drastic as excommunication
since you are not considered to be cut off from heaven and all.

Anyway, my real question is, did your grandmother eat any of the typical
SDA assortment of "vege-foods?"  Such things as "choplets" (mostly gluten),
etc.?  I used to sluff the stuff down like there was no tomorrow.  After I
quit eating it, I noticed that I no longer had heartburn or a bloated
feeling.  I now try to follow a diet somewhat close to Neanderthin with a
little cheating on the weekends.  My wife is on the Atkins diet.  I feel
much healthier and my wife has lost close to 50lbs over the last year.

I keep telling my parents (also SDA's) that vege-meat is much worse for
them than real meat, but it's a religious thing so it's very hard to
convice them.  It's next to impossible to get them to believe in
paleolithic diets because the theory behind them goes completely against
thier strict creationist belief system, and when reading any materials
about these diets, the moment anything having to do with evolution shows
up, the book goes out the window.  It's very frustrating.  How does one
deal with this?

I have come up with an alternate theory that fits into the christian
creationist belief system.  My theory is that the tree of life had high
quality protein/fat growing on it.  And being the paradise that the Garden
of Eden was, you wouldn't expect Adam and Eve to have to work to harvest
grains.  So their diet must have been mostly fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds
and this super protein fruit growing on the tree of life.

Comments?

Please forgive my rambling.

--
Brian Glass | [log in to unmask] | http://www.andrews.edu/~glass | 313-995-9022
A religious conservative is a fanatic about a dead radical.